Brakes/rims

OK gang ,what brake rotor size can we go up to with the 16'' PS kidnybeans wheels ?and also what kind of after market wheels are avalible in 10'' wide fronts and 12-13'' rears ?I'm getting nowhere with tire rack and such.I like the OZ spoked wheels .Thanks Mike

You need to be a member of A Community for people that love Racing and Cars to add comments!

Join A Community for people that love Racing and Cars

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well I printed out a bunch of Baer and the Electro-dynamics brake templates and after playing paper-dolls with them for a bit I confirmed none of them would fit the 16" x 8" PSE Kidney Bean wheels. I'm going to check out the offerings at hotrodsusa.com and see what they can do for us. They offer 11.75" and 12.19" Wilwood rotors on a custom "zero" offset rotor hat that could possibly work. I will report back with my findings.
  • So are you pretty sure the decelerator kit will fit? I understand the stock size rotors (stock diameter and thickness?) are not an issue but what about caliper fitment with our wheels? There are a lot of C4 to C5 swap kits in the market but most claim to require 17" wheels. There are also some C4 upgrades that I considered utilizing the C5 J55 calipers.
  • I was talking about getting the PDF file for the caliper template.

Anyway, on the photo loading. Are you trying to load into your personal photo page or just trying to post it in a discussion like this one?

If you are trying to load to a discussion like this all you have to do in the reply box is to click the right-most icon that is suppose to look like a tiny picture. then a small dialog window will open that says "Add an image" across the top, then click "browse" which will open another window with your files/photos, then select the photo by clicking it, then click the "open" button which will take you back to the :add an image" window and then just click on "Add". Then that window will close and you should be back to your discussion box with a bunch of odd looking text. This is effectively your photo. Yes it is very ugly but then just click on "Add reply" and your photo should be posted in the discussion. One final note on this, the new photo always gets placed at the top of the text box so I have found it easiest to load the photo(s) first and then include any text last. You can add the test to the end or the beginning.

If you are loading to your personal photo page here are a few tips. They have a note that "Each photo may be up to 10MB in size. We support photos in the .jpg, .gif and .png file formats" So first off make sure your photos are not too big, my guess is that they are not but check the file size anyways. Also make sure the file names end in any of the 3 filename extensions and not something like .bmp. Oh and one more thing they mention separately is that you can only load 100 photos at a time

If you are in the bulk uploader and can see the photo names on the left hand side, all you should have to do is to select the photo or directory that you want to load by pressing and holding down the mouse button and then slide the mouse over until the photo is in the area on the right that says something like drag photo here and then release the button. If the photo appears in that box then you should be ok and select other photos to load. If you do not see the photo(s) in that box then I am not sure what is going on.

I still plan to make a little tutorial on all this but it will take a little time so hang in there.
    • Alan, What ?? I thought you were of English decent ?? But I see see you speak' a Greek . Push this button ,turn that dial . Smack the monitor ,I'm feeling a nervous breakdown coming. Mike
    • Being this close to the border its more likely spanish... ;-)

So did you figure out what to do with your brakes keeping the existing wheels?

I need to take a hard look at mine since the left front kept locking up a bit at the track this weekend. It led to a few "exciting" moments as I was overtaking some cars on the inside just prior to the turn! Last time I replaced the front pads there was a good bit of taper on that corner so maybe the caliper is shot and I would prefer to only replace it once. It also could be that my balance/corner weighting is off since I put the coilovers on and have not done a proper alignment yet.

Anyway a front brake redo is high on my priority list now and if I learn of anything I will let everyone know.
    • Hi Alan , I have to set-ups as far as brakes that I Like.Mid America Corvette has a Baer Eradispeed kit 13'' fronts ,11'' rears for $1,099.Talking to Chuck I do not think they will fit. The other kit is a decelarator kit which is stock size rotors but they are drilled and slotted $319. Then I'd have to get the C5 2piston calipers and new brackets about $400 on Ebay from Chevy dealer.and 2 new stock rear calipers.For pads either Hawk or GM has soom Carbon Metallic race pads @$99 a set . Mike
    • Well I struck out on finding a pre-packaged upgrade for my front brakes from the brake guru at hotrodusa.com. After talking to him yesterday he said the zero-offset package won't work without a larger rotor ~13" and that requires larger wheels. I was just about to give up and he came up with a possible solution using my stock rotors and some Wilwood calipers but I will have to make my own bracket to mount it. So I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Wilwood Dynapro 6 calipers that should arrive in a couple of weeks. I hope I can make them work, it sounds like the bracket should be pretty easy to do but I need to get a good detailed drawing on the caliper to do some measurements in the meantime. During this exercise I may even run up and grab a a couple of 13" stock C4 rotors just to convince myself that they really can't be used. After all ours are suppose to be 12" but if you ever measure them you will find out that they in fact are smaller.
      HotRodUSA
      HotRodUSA
  • Alan , which problem ??? I have many.If it's conerning the downloads, I get to the browse window and and get to view my pitures but I an not able to load them . I even downloaded the picture downloader on site . Maybe I'll try again tonite. Mike
  • Hi Ed, thats exactly right . He said he started out with something like 13 1/2 rotors and cut them down till they fit. He told me he thought somewhere around 12-1/2 '' to 12-3/4'' if memory served him well.
  • I am still using the stock brakes with Hawk HP Plus pads and 16" PSE Kidney Bean wheels but I have been looking at the brake upgrade for a while. I am not too concerned about going larger than ~12" rotors but do want them thicker for better heat control and want less flexy multi-piston calipers. Ultimately the wheel clearance will be the limiting concern and you should print out any templates available from the brake supplier and test fit to your wheels. A few options that I was about to look into a bit more closely before my Dana went out earlier this year were from the following companies. Once I get the rear of the car fully sorted I will go after the front brakes again. Let us know if you find a solution with the 16" PSE wheels.

http://www.hotrodsusa.com/ - a lot of brake options and they have a custom zero offset rotor hat that could be an advantage in getting something that fits. I had contacted them in the past and they thought they could get me set up for a reasonable price but I can't find the email any more. Give them a call.

www.electro-dynamics.com - I know that Julian has Porsche Turbo brakes on his Lister so he may have got them here since they offer that option. However he had custom BBS wheels.
This reply was deleted.