Anybody interested in the pictures and measurements of both I will glady do for the group. Problem is I will have to send the picture's to one of you and you will have to load them to the Lister Blog as I can not seem to figure out how ?? I know I'm a putz. Mike

You need to be a member of A Community for people that love Racing and Cars to add comments!

Join A Community for people that love Racing and Cars

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Going to use the original PSE 16'' /10'' rims for the front with 245/ 40 -16 Kuhmo tire's and Phill is going to make me 2 -17'' by 12-13'' rears wich will use Kuhmo 315 to 335 /30 17s .
  • Hi Dan,it has come to a halt .The weather ,parts and the Holidays are the main culprits. The car is apart ,and I cut the trans crossmember out to get it ready. I'm waiting for a trans jack that will be here after the holidays. Can't do anything with the flares till I get the rims. PSE is out of blanks (rim) so after the holidays Phill said he would call when he gets them in. Mike
    • Here are some photos of Mike's swap, just click them and they will display full size.

Mike are you getting another set of the standard PSE wheels (16x8, 16x10) with standard offset or are you going wider for all that power? Or 17" for brakes?

• how is the transplant going Mike??
  • Personally I hope to never see a Dana 36 again... ;-) Although I still have that old one in the garage waiting for me to inspect the internal damage.

As far as I know (which may not be much) the only critical dimensional difference between the D36 and the D44 is the D44 is 3/4" longer on the front/yoke side. This means that the C-beam needs to be shortened by that much if you make the swap and you "may" need to shorten your driveshaft depending on how much clearance you have. When I swapped my D36 for the D44 I had my C-beam shortened but "just" made it without redoing the driveshaft.

Go ahead and post the tranny measurements if you have them, never know when I will be ready for that sawp.
    • The Danna 44 is much beefier inside,the ring is much heavier looking,and the spider gears are almost a inch bigger in Dia'' Thats why I thought if anybody was interested before I pack the old stuff up . I have the both of them laying on the workbench side by side.. Also the bat wing on the 44 has carrier cap blocks that push up against the carrier caps to aid in flex problems of the Dana 36. Mike
    • Absolutely beefier. The guy that built my D44 showed my the difference, I just thought you were talking about external parts. I was wondering what those caps were for, I just removed them when I installed the D44. I also noticed that my D36 batwing actually looked a bit beefier than the D44 which seemed odd but that may have more to do with the specific year of each. I did read about some folks that have installed the D36 batwing on a D44 center since they are much cheaper. They make some sort of midplate and the bolt holes all line up except the one extra on the D36 batwing which is not needed anyways. I don't recall if they had to make the D36 batwing holes larger but I think they did. I'm not too sur ethis is the way to go unless you can't find a D44 batwing and as long as Newman Creations is making them we should be ok. Just poorer since they run about $800 each.
This reply was deleted.